Friday, July 5, 2013

Disability Awareness

Hello Purple Room Families,

I hope you all had a wonderful Independence Day.

Next week we will be discussing disabilities. It is so incredibly important that children learn about the differences that some people may have. People may look or act different but they should not be treated any differently than me or you. I would like to talk about some common disabilities that your child might encounter in the future hopes that your child will be understanding and loving toward others with disabilities. I am hoping to have a special guest come in and speak with the kids. I encourage you to talk with your kids as well at home.

As some of you may know we will unfortunately not be able to get a turtle. Upon researching further, licensing will not allow a turtle in the classroom because they carry salmonella. Although the children would not be holding the turtle, it is still against licensing. Instead, we will be getting a mouse, which was the Purple Room's second choice. Due to this hang up, we will not be able to make it to PETCO next week. We will be going the following week. I will be sending home a permission slip next week.

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend. See you next week!

Take care,
Shaina